Why does our skin need antioxidants and how do I choose the right product?
Have you heard skincare products talk about oxidative ageing or atmospheric ageing? This refers to the effects of pollution on the skin. Pollution is absorbed into our pores (even with makeup on) every time we walk out onto the street. This pollution causes inflammation, which oxidises the natural oils in our skin and damages the moisture barrier, leading to dehydration and leaving the skin prone to congestion. This begins the negative process of ageing, pigmentation, inflammation, breakouts, and sensitivity.
That’s where antioxidants come in. Antioxidants help to offset the oxidative damage, helping to prevent the process which does so much harm to our skin! The most common antioxidants found in skincare products include vitamins C and E, retinol and resveratrol.
The main benefits of using an antioxidant on your skin include:
- Antioxidants bind to skin cell DNA and protect against “free radicals” (pollution) caused by the sun and environmental pollutants.
- Reduces and lightens dark spots on your skin related to sun exposure.
- Supports collagen growth, which helps you look younger!
- Increases clarity of the skin.
- Strengthens capillaries.
Here’s what to look for in a good antioxidant:
- The product should contain vitamin Cs (or L-ascorbic acid), polyphenol (or green tea extract), resveratrol, or retinol as an active ingredient to be a true antioxidant.
- Most of the antioxidants should be listed in the top half of the ingredients list in your skincare product. Percentages are also helpful – the higher, the better! For vitamin C, you want the concentration to sit between 10-20 per cent.
Antioxidant serums are best applied every morning after cleansing and toning, and before moisturising. You can get yours here on our online shop.
If you would like to speak with a Skin Therapist or Skin Doctor about your skin concerns, please call us or book your appointment online.