What causes dull skin?
Dull skin lacks radiance. It does not reflect the light well. So, it looks listless with an uneven texture. Very often, such skin is also dry and patchy. It's missing the well-known healthy glow.
Considering the common causes of dullness, that is not a surprise. Dull skin is ailing - not seriously, but enough to prevent it from functioning on an optimal level.
Dull skin causes
The six leading causes of dull skin are:
First of all, dryness and dehydration are not synonyms. Dry skin lacks natural oils (sebum), while dehydrated skin lacks moisture.
Also, dry skin is one of four basic types of healthy skin. The others include normal, oily, and combination skin. All of these types may become dehydrated.
So, genetic factors contribute to dry skin. However, exposure to cold and dry air also contributes significantly.
High-quality topical products supplement the lack of natural oils and improve skin condition.
Dehydrated skin is itchy and looks dull and "shadowy".
Topicals are valuable here too, but they provide limited help with dehydration. The best way to fix dehydrated skin is from within (adequate water intake and diet).
Water is essential for healthy and radiant skin. It also boosts the proper functioning of the entire body and improves general well-being.
3. Lack of proper skincare
The foundation of skincare is the cleanse-tone-moisturise regimen. However, in times of crisis, you wouldn't go wrong with moisturise-moisturise-moisturise. Hydration is vital for healthy and great-looking skin.
As skin ages, its ability to rehydrate, remain healthy, and function properly diminishes. The resulting imbalance can produce a dull appearance. Therefore, it is invaluable to take good care of your skin, both inside and out.
5. The build-up of dead skin cells
The build-up of dead skin cells on the surface is a byproduct of the self-regenerative cycle the skin completes approximately every 28 days.
However, sometimes this layer of dead cells does not shed off properly and traps the "new" skin producing a dull appearance. The best way to fix this is regular exfoliation.
Smoking helps many processes that contribute to dull-looking skin. These include:
- Oxidative stress,
- Collagen production impairment,
- Loss of elasticity, and
- Premature ageing
The bottom line
Dull skin is unattractive but easy to fix. With smarter lifestyle choices and a well-designed skincare routine, you can have healthy and radiant skin all the time.
If you would like to speak to a Doctor or Dermal Clinician about your skin concerns, please call us or book your appointment online.
• Bize C, Le Gélébart E, Moga A, Payré B, Garcia C. Barrier disruption, dehydration and inflammation: Investigation of the vicious circle underlying dry skin. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2021;43(6):729-737. doi:10.1111/ics.12748
• Boismal F, Serror K, Dobos G, Zuelgaray E, Bensussan A, Michel L. Vieillissement cutané - Physiopathologie et thérapies innovantes [Skin aging: Pathophysiology and innovative therapies]. Med Sci (Paris). 2020;36(12):1163-1172. doi:10.1051/medsci/2020232
• Ortiz A, Grando SA. Smoking and the skin. Int J Dermatol. 2012;51(3):250-262. doi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2011.05205.x
- dull skin